The Benefits Specialist will support the employee benefit functions for the University of Kansas Medical Center Office of Human Resources. This position will be responsible for assisting with the administration of benefit programs such as health, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, health saving and health reimbursement accounts. In addition, this position will assist with FMLA, Workers’ Compensation, long-term disability, and deferred contribution retirement plans. The Benefits Specialist will play a key role in supporting the Office of Human Resources in their efforts to promote a positive work environment while providing exceptional customer service.
- Provide excellent customer service to all employees; be proactive in anticipating needs, go beyond expectations and deliver excellent results. Respond to questions/inquiries in a timely, appropriate manner.
- Counsel employees regarding retirement, deferred compensation and other benefit programs sponsored by the State of Kansas.
- Assist in administration of FMLA and Workers’ Compensation. Properly track leave time and the collection of payroll deductions including employee insurance premiums. Conduct appropriate adjustments as needed, and update records accordingly.
- Participate in the administration of employee benefit plans including life insurance, long term disability insurance, the Kansas Board of Regents tax-sheltered annuity retirement plans and the Kansas Public Employee Retirement System (KPERS) 457 deferred compensation plans.
- Process and manage benefit information (i.e., updates) in the appropriate HR system(s) of record. Routinely monitor the MAP portal dashboard so that it is current and up to date.
- Assist in the planning, and participate in open enrollment, new hire orientations and other benefit- related, educational workshops and seminars for faculty and staff. Partner and foster positive relationships with benefit vendors/providers.
- Process benefit terminations in the HR system(s) of record and distribute termination letters.
- Active participant and supporter of the Benefits Office –Total Rewards events, culture and initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business or a closely related field and two years’ or more relevant job experience. Experience in performing the work described herein may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Knowledgeable of federal and state laws/regulations impacting benefits administration. Ability to understand and provide effective communication of benefit plan and information to customers.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with employees at all organizational levels and with individuals and groups with culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated capability to make effective use of information technology applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, query, workflow, presentation and other appropriate software to include data entry and updates online.
- Formal training in customer service.
- HR certification in benefits administration (i.e., CBP) is desirable.
KU Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants willreceive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.
To learn more and apply online, please visit http://jobs.kumc.edu/postings/26267 or go to
https://jobs.kumc.edu/ and search for position number J0084562.
*Applications must be submitted directly through the KU Medical Center website to be considered for this position. Any applications submitted via email or this website will NOT be reviewed or considered.
About KU Medical Center:
The University of Kansas Medical Center’s mission is to educate exceptional health care professionals through a full range of undergraduate, graduate, professional, postdoctoral and continuing education programs in the schools of Medicine, Nursing and Health Professions. KU Medical Center also advances the health sciences through world-class research programs; provides compassionate and state-of-the-art
patient care in an academic medical center environment; and works with communities in every Kansas county to improve the health of Kansans. Learn more at www.kumc.edu.
KU Medical Center proudly offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package through the state
of Kansas, with flexible options designed to meet the diverse needs of our faculty and staff. To learn more about our options for medical, vision, dental and other insurances, as well as our generous time off policies and retirement options, please visit http://www.kumc.edu/humanresources/benefitsrewards.html.